Applications for this position are accepted:
To 10/23/2010 5:00 PM
The salary for this position is $25,000 - $50,000.
The Cleveland Metropolitan School District is in the midst of the most far-reaching transformation plan in its history to dramatically improve the quality of educational programs for Cleveland's public school students. One key to the success of the Districts plan, is the redesign of its central office divisions to better serve schools and impact student achievement. The Executive Director of Student Services seeks two specialists in the Ombudsman Office who are passionate about contributing to this vision. The primary purpose of this job is to understand and seek to resolve concerns raised by parents and guardians of children enrolled in the Cleveland Metropolitan School District. This job requires good case management, organizational, analytical, technical, and communication skills.
|DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:|
- Act as a source of information and assistance to parents and guardians of students who attend CMSD schools regarding academic and non-academic rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Work, when requested, to achieve a prompt, fair and satisfactory resolution of parent or guardian problems and concerns.
- Assist parents and guardians to identify the appropriate official or office to which they should address their problem or concern.
- Seek to resolve problems and concerns in a manner that is satisfactory to all parties involved through counseling, mediation and conflict resolution services.
- Maintain adequate records of all activities, subject to the confidentially procedures of the CMSD.
- Guide parents and guardians towards options that are fair and conform to CMSD policy.
- Facilitate dialogue between home and school as a means of resolving problems or concerns.
- Assists parents and guardians in the process of becoming effective advocates for their own child (or children).
- Investigates complaints and conducts the necessary research leading to resolution
- Receives contacts by telephone, email, or in-person
- Screens inquiries to determine if only information or more assistance is required
- High school Diploma or GED required; College experience preferred
- Fluency in Spanish desired
- Experience working with parents and families
- Experience working with school and administrative personnel
- Ability to work multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in computer applications; i.e. Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with school policies, procedures and regulations
- Mediation and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work flexible hours/days as needed
- Excellent interpersonal skills
To Apply: Please send resume, accompanied by a brief, persuasive statement of interest that includes how your experience directly aligns to the opportunities and challenges of this position, to Kristen Fornadel at Kristen.email@example.com. Current CMSD employees are not required to fill out an online application for this position.
Ohio House Bill 190 requires criminal record checks of job applicants under
final consideration for positions. This records check is through the Ohio Bureau
of criminal Identification and/or the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The
records check is performed at the applicant's expense and any employment offer
is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of the check.
All new employees are required to undergo a physical examination as a
condition of employment. Examinations which have been performed within ninety
days prior to date of employment are acceptable. Any employment offer is
contingent upon the satisfactory completion of this exam.
The Cleveland Metropolitan School district is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer. Additionally, the Cleveland Metropolitan School District
values language diversity among its students and employees. Persons who are
bilingual are encouraged to apply for employment opportunities.