Applications for this position are accepted:
To 8/1/2013 5:00 PM
SALARY: Per the Cleveland Metropolitan School District's salary schedule for teachers.
|DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:|
- Teach skills utilizing District Scope and Sequence integrating the common core standards and create standards-based appropriate learning activities.
- Instruct pupils using bilingual and ESL research based methodologies such as the Sheltered Instructional Observational Protocol (SIOP) to meet the linguistic needs of second language learners.
- Collaborate and coordinate instruction with ESL teachers, paraprofessionals, and/or staff using a team-teaching approach based on a bilingual/ESL model of the school in English Language Arts and content areas curriculum.
- Adapt instructional materials and research based methods of instruction to develop sequential lessons that lead English language learners (Ells) to develop English proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- Adapt materials and textbooks based on the ESL needs of assigned pupils to challenge students to maximum level of performance across al course subjects.
- Adapt instructional activities to provide individual, small group or differentiated instruction to meet the linguistic needs of the individual pupil.
- Create safe, nurturing classroom climate optimal to stimulate second language acquisition and practice.
- Identify student needs and collaborate with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve social, cultural, health, attitude and learning problems.
- Maintain and communicate with parents/guardians on pupil progress utilizing native languages, interpreters and culturally sensitive means.
- Supervise pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day.
- Administer ongoing assessments and monitor class and individual student progress, and participate in end of year reclassification reports.
- Maintain professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district and in self-selected professional growth activities.
- Valid Ohio teaching certificate in appropriate subject area (Elementary, Special Education, Secondary ELA, Math and Science, Social Studies).
- Hold endorsements in TESOL and/or Bilingual Multicultural Education.
- Evidence of satisfactory classroom teaching experience or student teaching.
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with administrators, teachers, parents and community groups.
- Ability to work well as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Willingness to spend the additional time needed to effectively meet the challenges, objectives, and purposes of the school.
- Experience in urban schools representing a variety of socioeconomic levels, racial and ethnic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated Bilingual oral communication skills in English and another language preferable.
Ohio House Bill 190 requires criminal record checks of job applicants under
final consideration for positions. This records check is through the Ohio Bureau
of criminal Identification and/or the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The
records check is performed at the applicant's expense and any employment offer
is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of the check.
All new employees are required to undergo a physical examination as a
condition of employment. Examinations which have been performed within ninety
days prior to date of employment are acceptable. Any employment offer is
contingent upon the satisfactory completion of this exam.
The Cleveland Metropolitan School district is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer. Additionally, the Cleveland Metropolitan School District
values language diversity among its students and employees. Persons who are
bilingual are encouraged to apply for employment opportunities.